Mehmet is a former computer engineer in the Scientific Data Management Group, currently an affiliate with the Scientific Networking Division. His recent work particularly deals with performance problems in high-bandwidth networks, efficient data transfer mechanisms and data streaming, high-performance network protocols, bandwidth reservations, virtual circuits, and data transfer scheduling for large-scale applications. He received his doctoral degree in computer science from Louisiana State University (LSU) in 2010. He has several years of industrial experience as system administrator and R&D specialist, at various software companies before joining LSU. He also worked as a summer intern in Los Alamos National Laboratory. During his study at LSU, he worked as a teaching assistant in the Department of Computer Science, and as a research assistant in the Center for Computation & Technology (CCT).
NDM (Network-aware Data Management Workshop @SC)
- M. Balman, Advance Resource Provisioning in Bulk Data Scheduling. In Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA), 2013.
- M. Balman, Streaming exa-scale data over 100Gbps networks, IEEE Computing Now Magazine, Oct 2012.
- M. Balman, E. Pouyoul, Y. Yao, E. W. Bethel, B. Loring, Prabhat, J. Shalf, A. Sim, B. L. Tierney, Experiences with 100Gbps Network Applications. In Proc. ofthe 5th Int. workshop on Data-Intensive Distributed Computing, in conjunction with HPDC’12, 2012.
- M. Balman and S. Byna, Open Problems in network-aware data management in exa-scale computing and terabit networking era. In Proc. of the 1st Int. workshop on Network-aware Data Management, in conjunction with SC’11, 2011.
- T. Kosar, M. Balman, E. Yildirim, S. Kulasekaran, B. Ross, Stork Data Scheduler: Mitigating the Data Bottleneck in e-Science, in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, Vol.369 (2011), pp. 3254-3267.
- T. Kosar, I. Akturk, M. Balman, X. Wang, PetaShare: A Reliable, Efficient, and Transparent Distributed Storage Management System, Scientific Programming Journal, Sci. Program. 19, 1 (2011), 27-43
- M. Balman and T. Kosar, Error Detection and Error Classification: Failure Awareness in Data Transfer Scheduling, International Journal of Autonomic Computing 2010 - Vol. 1, No.4 pp. 425 - 446, DOI: 10.1504/IJAC.2010.037516
- M. Balman, E. Chaniotakis, A. Shoshani, A. Sim, A Flexible Reservation Algorithm for Advance Network Provisioning. In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC’10), 2010.
- M. Balman and T. Kosar, Dynamic Adaptation of Parallelism Level in Data Transfer Scheduling. In Proc. of Int. Workshop on Adaptive Systems in Heterogeneous Environments, in conjunction IEEE CISIS'09 and IEEE ARES'09, 2009.
- M. Balman, Tetrahedral Mesh Refinement in Distributed Environments, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops, IEEE Computer Society 2006, pp. 497-504, ISBN:0-7695-2637-3
» Visit Mehmet's personal web page.