Donald Willcox is a postdoctoral researcher in the Center for Computational Sciences and Engineering (CCSE) in the Computational Research Division of the Computing Sciences Directorate at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. His research interests are in computational astrophysics, specifically in designing large scale hydrodynamics simulations of thermonuclear supernova explosions and progenitors. He is also interested in accelerating these algorithms for GPU-based supercomputers, especially the ODE solvers required for time integration of nuclear reaction networks.
- Solving nuclear reaction network ODE systems on GPUs
- Applications of low Mach hydrodynamics to Type Ia supernovae progenitors with Maestro
- Development of the compressible hydrodynamics code Castro for astrophysical applications
- M. M. Hoffman, D. E. Willcox, M. P. Katz, S. Ferson, F. D. Swesty, A. C. Calder, On the Quantification of Incertitude in Astrophysical Simulation Codes, manuscript in preparation.
- M. Zingale, K. Eiden, Y. Cavecchi, A. Harpole, J. B. Bell, M. Chang, I. Hawke, M. P. Katz, C. M. Malone, A. J. Nonaka, D. E. Willcox, W. Zhang, Toward Resolved Simulations of Burning Fronts in Thermonuclear X-ray Bursts, submitted to the proceedings of the AstroNum 2018 conference, [arXiv].
- A. C. Calder, D. E. Willcox, C. J. DeGrendele, D. Shangase, M. Zingale, D. M. Townsley, Thermonuclear (Type Ia) Supernovae and Progenitor Evolution, submitted to the proceedings of the AstroNum 2018 conference.
- A. C. Calder, M. M. Hoffman, D. E. Willcox, M. P. Katz, F. D. Swesty, S. Ferson, Quantification of Incertitude in Black Box Simulation Codes, 2018, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1031, 012016, [doi].
- D. E. Willcox and M. Zingale, pynucastro: an interface to nuclear reaction rates and code generator for reaction network equations, 2018, Journal of Open Source Software, 3(23), 588, [doi].
- M. Zingale, A. S. Almgren, M. G. Barrios Sazo, V. E. Beckner, J. B. Bell, B. Friesen, A. M. Jacobs, M. P. Katz, C. M. Malone, A. J. Nonaka, D. E. Willcox, W. Zhang, Meeting the Challenges of Modeling Astrophysical Thermonuclear Explosions: Castro, Maestro, and the AMReX Astrophysics Suite, 2018, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1031, 012024, [doi].
- A. C. Calder, B. K. Krueger, A. P. Jackson, D. E. Willcox, B. J. Miles, D. M. Townsley, Cosmic Chandlery with Thermonuclear Supernovae, 2017, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 837, 012005, [doi].
- D. E. Willcox, D. M. Townsley, A. C. Calder, P. Denissenkov, F. Herwig, Type Ia Supernova Explosions From Hybrid Carbon-Oxygen-Neon White Dwarf Progenitors 2016, Astrophysical Journal, 832, 13, [doi].