General Research Interests
x-ray science and technology, physics, applied mathematics, computer science
- New algorithm enhances ptychographic image reconstruction
- Berkeley Lab Paves the Way for Real-time Ptychographic Data Streaming
- The convergence properties of the alternating projections (joint work with Y-C Tu, H-T Wu), (http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.0550)
- Diffractive imaging with shrink-wrap algorithm (ALS highlight) (LLNL highlight) (SLAC highlight) (papers: 2D,3D, preprints 2D,3D).
- Femtosecond nanocrystallography (news1, news2), (paper).
- The Brightest, Sharpest, Fastest X-Ray Holograms Yet (Press release) (Nature Phot. article, preprint). (Nature Photonics redefines its scope "to encompass this exciting field.")
- Outrunning radiation damage by flash diffractive imaging (Nature phys. cover), (Feature stories: LLNL1, LLNL2) (Nature Phys. article, preprint, related US patent)
- Single particle diffractive imaging (Pulse)(Nano lett. article)
- Single molecule diffractive imaging (paper).
- X-Ray Diffraction Looks Inside Aerogels in 3D (Feature story-LBNL) (PRL article, preprint) (Highlight in Science)
- Phase retrieval: ab initio solution without atomic resolution nor Nyquist sampling (preprint)(Nuit Blanche)
- Phase retrieval 2007 review (RSI cover) (review article, preprint).
- Lensless Imaging of Whole Biological Cells with Soft X-Rays, (press release) (PNAS paper, PRL paper, Nature highlight)
- Time delay holography study nanoparticle dynamics under intense radiation (LLNL press release) (Nature article).
- Snapshots of laser ablation dynamics (LLNL press release) (Nature Phot. article).
- Jet-propelled Imaging for an Ultrafast Light Source (press release) (preprint, paper)
- Atomic holograms of single and quasi crystals (Physics Today, Phys. Rev. Focus, ESRF Highlight, Highlight2, ESRF News) (papers: PRL1,PRL2,Nature)
- Inverse problems in X-ray scattering, Progress on Statistical Issues in Searches, A Conference Involving Statistical Issues in Astrophysics, Particle Physics and Photon Science. http://www-conf.slac.stanford.edu/statisticalissues2012/talks/Marchesini_slac2012_s.pdf
- Coherent Diffractive Imaging, ESI 2012 Modern Methods of Time-Frequency Analysis II: Phase Retrieval, Monday, October 8. - Friday, October 12. 2012, http://www.univie.ac.at/nuhag-php/program/talks_details.php?id=2361
External Advisory, BioXFEL center,
External advisory board: Pulse institute,
LCLS User Executive Committee (2010-2013 LCLS)
Werner Meyer-Ilse Memorial Award committee (http://www.xrm2014.com/werner-meyer-ilse-memorial-award/ )
Previous Research Experience
02/2007-09/2016 Advanced Light Source, LBNL, Berkeley, CA
01/2003-01/2007 Physics and Advanced Technologies, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
05/2000-09/2002 Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
11/1996-01/2000 Commissariat à l'Énergie Atomique, Grenoble, France
09/1995-09/1996, Università di Milano, Milan, Italy, (Physics, graduate school)