Phone: +1 510 486 4505
Fax: +1 510 486 6900
- Large-scale, high performance genome assembly.
- Modeling of complex systems, such as the Internet and financial markets.
- Information security, particularly understanding the impact of policies and regulations and the dynamic interplay of chronic attack and defense on a large scale.
- New operating systems for the many-core era.
- Scheduling and load-balancing for parallel applications.
Talks and panels
- Fighting unknown attacks (panel). eSecureLive. May 2005.
- The computer security arms race. Systems and Software Technology Conference. April 2005.
- The future of security (panel). eFinancial WorldExpo. November 2004.
- Reflections on adaptable, host-based intrusion prevention systems. Adaptive and Resilient Computer Security Workshop at the Santa Fe Institute. November 2004.
- What’s next: new threats and new answers. (panel). eWeek Security Summit. September 2004.
- Acting in milliseconds: why defense processes have to change (panel). Blackhat Briefings. July 2004.
- Policy-based security: automating intrusion response (panel). eWeek Security Summit. May 2004.
- Immune system analogues approach. JET Roadmap Workshop. April, 2004.
- Adaptive intrusion protection. RSA Conference. February, 2004.
- Emulating the human biosystem to meet cyber security challenges (panel). RSA Conference. February, 2004.
- Attaining security currency operational, risk, and cost efficiency approaches to patch management (panel). RSA Conference. February, 2004.
- False positives, intrusion detection, and robust system design. Security and Privacy Vanguard Conference. February, 2004.
- Preventing intrusions and tolerating false positives. BlackHat Windows Security Briefings. January, 2004.
- Keynote: Damage-response systems. Adaptive and resilient computing security. Santa Fe Institute Workshop. November, 2003.
- Change management: secure your applications and live through it. CSI NetSec. November, 2003.
- Growing a venture-backed security company from New Mexico origins.Coronado Ventures Forum. May, 2003.
- The solution for today’s security threats? The worlds oldest security system. RSA Conference. April, 2003.
- Distributed security: lessons from nature. O’Reilly Emerging Technology Conference. May, 2002.
- How to feel secure in an insecure world (panel). PCForum. March, 2002.
- Is wireless an enabler for global security? (panel) Wireless Systems Design Conference. February, 2002.
Khaled Z. Ibrahim, Steven Hofmeyr, Costin Iancu, "The Case for Partitioning Virtual Machines on Manycore Architectures", IEEE TPDS, April 17, 2014,
- Download File: TPDSsubmit.pdf (pdf: 5.6 MB)
S Hofmeyr, J Colmenares, J Kubiatowicz, C Iancu, "Juggle: Addressing Extrinsic Load Imbalances in SPMD Applications on Multicore Computer", Cluster Computing, 2012,
S. Hofmeyr, "The information security technology arms race", Crosstalk: The Journal of Defense Software Engineering, October 1, 2005,
S. Hofmeyr, "Host intrusion detection: part of the operating system or on top of the operating system", Computers & Security, February 1, 2005,
S. Hofmeyr, "The implications of immunology for secure systems design", Computers & Security, September 1, 2004,
S. Hofmeyr, "A new approach to security: learning from immunology", Information Systems Security, September 1, 2003,
S. Hofmeyr, "Why today's security technologies are so inadequate: history, implications and new approaches", Information Systems Security, January 1, 2003,
S. Forrest, S. Hofmeyr, "Engineering an immune system", Graft, June 1, 2001,
S. Hofmeyr, S. Forrest, "Architecture for an artificial immune system", Evolutionary Computation, December 1, 2000,
S. Hofmeyr, A. Somayaji, S. Forrest, "Intrusion detection using sequences of system calls", Journal of Computer Security, June 1, 1998,
A. P. Kosoresow, S. Hofmeyr, S. Forrest, "Intrusion detection via system call traces", IEEE Software, September 1, 1997,
S. Forrest, S. Hofmeyr, A. Somayaji, "Computer immunology", Communications of the ACM, January 1, 1997,
Evangelos Georganas, Aydın Buluç, Jarrod Chapman, Steven Hofmeyr,
Chaitanya Aluru, Rob Egan, Leonid Oliker, Daniel Rokhsar, Katherine Yelick,
"HipMer: An Extreme-Scale De Novo Genome Assembler",
Proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC),
November 19, 2015,
Benjamin Edwards, Steven Hofmeyr, Stephanie Forrest, "Hype and heavy tails: A closer look at data breaches", The Workshop on the Economics of Information Security (WEIS), 2015,
Benjamin Edwards, Steven Hofmeyr, Stephanie Forrest, Michel Van Eeten, "Analyzing and modeling longitudinal security data: Promise and pitfalls", Proceedings of the 31st Annual Computer Security Applications Conference, 2015, 391--400,
Juan A Colmenares, Gage Eads, Steven Hofmeyr, Sarah Bird, Miquel Moret\ o, David Chou, Brian Gluzman, Eric Roman, Davide B Bartolini, Nitesh Mor, others, "Tessellation: refactoring the OS around explicit resource containers with continuous adaptation", Proceedings of the 50th Annual Design Automation Conference, 2013, 76,
Steven Hofmeyr, Tyler Moore, Stephanie Forrest, Benjamin Edwards, George Stelle, "Modeling internet-scale policies for cleaning up malware", Economics of Information Security and Privacy III, Springer New York, 2013, 149--170,
Benjamin Edwards, Tyler Moore, George Stelle, Steven Hofmeyr, Stephanie Forrest, "Beyond the blacklist: modeling malware spread and the effect of interventions", Proceedings of the 2012 workshop on New security paradigms, January 1, 2012, 53--66,
S. Hofmeyr, T. Moore, S. Forrest, B. Edwards, G. Stelle, "Modeling Internet scale policies for cleaning up malware", Workshop on the Economics of Information Security (WEIS 2011), June 14, 2011,
Steven A. Hofmeyr, Juan A. Colmenares, Costin Iancu, John Kubiatowicz, "Juggle: proactive load balancing on multicore computers", High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC), 2011,
Khaled Z. Ibrahim, S. Hofmeyr, Eric Roman, "Optimized Pre-Copy Live Migration for Memory Intensive Applications", The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis, 2011,
- Download File: VMMigrationsubmit.pdf (pdf: 791 KB)
Khaled Z. Ibrahim, S. Hofmeyr, C. Iancu, "Characterizing the Performance of Parallel Applications on Multi-socket Virtual Machines", Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), 2011 11th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on, 2011, 1 -12,
- Download File: ccgrid11submit.pdf (pdf: 427 KB)
J. A. Colmenares, S. Bird, H. Cook, P. Pearce, D. Zhu, J. Shalf, S. Hofmeyr, K. Asanovic, J. Kubiatowicz, "Resource Management in the Tessellation Manycore OS", 2nd Usenix Workshop on Hot Topics in Parallelism (HotPar), June 15, 2010,
Steven A. Hofmeyr, Costin Iancu, Filip Blagojevic, "Load balancing on speed", Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP), June 6, 2010,
- Download File: ppopp141-hofmeyr.pdf (pdf: 1.1 MB)
Costin Iancu, Steven A. Hofmeyr, Filip Blagojevic, Yili Zheng, "Oversubscription on multicore processors", International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2010,
- Download File: ovsub.pdf (pdf: 449 KB)
R. Liu, K. Klues, S. Bird, S. Hofmeyr, K. Asanovic, J. D. Kubiatowicz, "Tessellation: Space-Time Partitioning in a Manycore Client OS", First USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Parallelism, June 15, 2009,
S. Forrest, S. Hofmeyr, A. Somayaji., "The evolution of system-call monitoring", Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC), August 12, 2008,
Costin Iancu, Steven A. Hofmeyr, "Runtime optimization of vector operations on large scale SMP clusters", Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), 2008,
- Download File: pact120-iancu.pdf (pdf: 1.2 MB)